In order to post to the forums, please login or register.

AuthorPosts
Waterbug Posted: 3/6/2009 8:24:06 AM
Subject:WAKES

I get a big kick out of the complaints that a wake will cause damage to docks and boats.  What do these people do in windy, stormy weather?  I doubt they run out with an extra dozen lines to batten down the hatches.  I come from a large river community and had 4 ft. wakes hit the docks so hard you could not stand up and guess what?  There was never any damage to anything.  A boat on bumpers and properly tied will weather all kinds of movement.  Get a life all you grouches who watch their docks like hawks!!!

Johnny Posted: 7/8/2009 1:27:14 PM

As a homeowner on the lake, I'd just like to say that some of the homeowners are not watching their dock & boat for damage, they are watching how close the boats and jet skis get to their dock at a fast rate of speed.  It's not safe for my grandchildren to play in the water off the dock,  especially on the weekends.

Did you know that S.C. law states that you have to be in idle speed if you are within 50 ft. of a dock?  Most people don't.  Especially all of the out of state boats.

Another note I'd like to say is that since the water has been up so long,  the boat waves are washing the soil away.  Trees that once were on the edge of the lake are now in the lake.  So I hope you see why some homeowners are concerned when you see them watching and stop laughing.  We don't think it's at all funny.

1skijunky Posted: 7/14/2009 7:17:34 AM

HI Johnny,  Once again I could not agree more.  Many boaters do get too close to docks and some even while pulling skiers or tubes.  But, the issue is not just with docks.  The weekend before the 4th we were switching out skiers, with swimmers in the water, about 60 to 80 feet off shoer and a 19' stingray bowrider pulling a small girl on a wakeboard came between us and the shoer.  This boat passed us about 20 feet off at around 16mph.   Ofcourse it had no registration numbers. 

The only thing I can say is, good luck with the stair down.  Our waving and screaming to ver off had no effect.  We just got a polite wave as they went by.  The lake is just like the highway, law enforcement can not be everywhere, and we all have to watch out for reckless drivers.

1Skijunky

1skijunky Posted: 7/14/2009 7:21:02 AM

I could not agree more.  I have lived on Lake Murray since I was 6 years old.  Over the years I have seen more and more people move to the lake because it is fashsionable, most of the new comers don't even use the lake.  But, they sure want to scream at those of us that do.  I say, if you want to live at the lake be ready to live with the lake, and all the waves that come with it!!! 

Ps.
I am a good courteous boater that is willing to take full responsibility for my wakes, but dock and boat owners need to also take responsibility for how their dock are maintained and how their boats are tied up the same way I do. 

laequilter Posted: 9/5/2009 7:20:45 PM

I had to say that agree with both sides of the arguemnt.  I have lived on the lake for over22 years and I have seen many things -- from watching a boat sink and a house on fire across the cove. knowing that there as nothing I could do to help -- except in the case of when I called 911, but since I couldn't give them an address, I not sure that it readdy did all that good.  The Balentine voluneer should have been able to see the fire's smoke if they would have just looked towards the lake. 

Any back to the wakes.  I''ve seen out next door neighbor drop skiers at his dock, which is approimately 100ft and from the angle of his path, it had to come to within a foor or 2 of our dock. 

I  also think that home owners should be more respoinsible.  How many homeowners who build dock in the slow years and then turned around a complain when their dock was under water.    Also, some them arer either to lazy, to brainless or to cheap to take care of their shorelines.

laequilter Posted: 9/5/2009 7:27:58 PM

I had to say that agree with both sides of the arguemnt.  I have lived on the lake for over22 years and I have seen many things -- from watching a boat sink and a house on fire across the cove. knowing that there as nothing I could do to help -- except in the case of when I called 911, but since I couldn't give them an address, I not sure that it readdy did all that good.  The Balentine voluneer should have been able to see the fire's smoke if they would have just looked towards the lake. 

Any back to the wakes.  I''ve seen our next door neighbor drop skiers at his dock, which is approimately 100ft and from the angle of his path, it had to come to within a foor or 2 of our dock. 
incoming  I  also think that home owners should be more respoinsible.  How many homeowners who build dock in the slow years and then turned around a complain when their dock was under water.    Also, some them arer either to lazy, to brainless or to cheap to take care of their shorelines.

newfromthenorth Posted: 9/21/2009 2:36:22 AM

Being new here i feel i need to add my 2 cents worth. I am from Cleveland Ohio and a recent transplant to SC and the Lake Murray usage. I have 2 boats a cruiser and an open bow for the recreational skiing and tubing. I was lucky enough to find a very nice older widow with a dock to let me keep my boats at in a very nice cove. My boats were on Lake Erie before this and we were forced to come in and out of all rivers and coves at only idle speed. As a matter of fact anything inside of a breakwall was the same way. I still hold the same courtesies here. There are very little boats here compared to the numbers of boats on Lake Erie yet I cant seem to get over how some of the people on them drive. Obviously some boaters have never read a boaters safty book or taken a coarse. I have seen way to many boats come into a cove way to fast also pulling tubers and water skiers. Not safe and definetly not very courteous. There are times when we simply want to relax on the boat by the dock catching some sun and listening to some music without the rederick of  being bounced around by rude boaters. I also cannot get over with the small amount of boaters on this lake that there is an abundant amount of being cut off, having my path crossed way to close or simply zooming by at a distance so close it has thrown my boat off its coarse. To all those who do right i say thank you and would like to meet some more local people. The ones weve met thus far are fantastic. To the others and you know who you are........Is someone going to have to get badly injured or killed before you start driving safe??? We also swim in the cove with bright yellow life vests on along with my dog and have had many occasion to have to swim for cover due to boaters who do not even live in the cove useing it as their private tubing high wake turn around. This isnt a grand prix track so I am asking nicely this once. PLEASE drive safer and have manners, no wake in any cove, keep fair distance and for gods sake follow the non collision paths set forth in every safety book regardless of  where you live  I will be taking action the next time one of my loved ones in the water has to duck for cover. You are lucky you are NOT up north. Its all US Coast Guard there and they dont hesitate to tow and keep your boat for unsafe driving practices.

tim Posted: 10/12/2009 11:47:39 AM

My family has lived on and enjoyed Lake Murray for 10 years now.  There are many boaters, young and old, who understand and practice safe and courteous boating.  However, there are many new comers trying out their pleasure boats for the first time with no idea of the rules of the waterway.  This past July, I was in a bass boat with 2 friends heading up river.  Before we knew it, a large boat blew right past us and within seconds I was caught between waves and almost capsized.  All too often, boaters will cut right in front of you or come along side of you so close you can read the labels on their beer cans.  It's one thing to know how to effectively and safely manage your watercraft, it's something else just to show a little common sense while on the water.  I have been known to follow irresponsible drivers to their destination and attempt to "educate" them and if that doesn't work, I won't hesitate to embarres them at their dock or boat ramp.  If it appears they have been drinking heavily, I'll call the local officers and give them the decription of their car that they will be driving away in, drunk.   Reasonable boaters need to start taking matters in their own hands before they themselves become a victim of boating ignorance.

motive140 Posted: 1/20/2010 6:38:12 AM

I have been skiing, wakeboarding, and kneeboarding, for over 20 years. I understand the rules of the water, never follow people too close. When I see someone trying to fish, I try not to get too close to them or anyone's dock. What I don't understand, is why some fishers think that they own the water. If the water is smooth in a certain area that is pretty much where I want to ride. Some fishers, stare you down or curse you out, when you aren't even close to them. We are not there to tick you off, we are just there because the water is smooth.

Tim Posted: 3/14/2010 10:49:20 AM

I am also a homeowner on the lake, and understand that safety is most important in reference to boat speed around docks. However, the people that are constantly complaining about every little wake need to "move off of the lake". You dont belong here. Wakes are part of living on the lake. Preparing your land with proper material for erosion prevention and securing your boat properly. Thats all it takes. If you want to live on the water without wakes, go build a house somewhere and put a pond in your backyard !!